PR professional who loves telling stories. Creative thinker, strong writer and fan of all sports. Passionate about work and wants to catch the highlights live – not on SportsCenter. Enjoys working out, volunteering, taking the dogs to the park, baking and DIYing. Adventurous, ambitious and ready for a challenge.
New Orleans Pelicans/New Orleans Saints • New Orleans, La. • Corporate Communications Manager • Dec. 2011-present
Corporate Communications Manager for both teams beginning in Aug. 2012 and Interim Corporate Communications Manager from June – Dec. 2011.
- Developed and executed creative public relations plans for all non-sports-related corporate events, announcements and initiatives.
- Disseminated messaging and tracked coverage through social media outlets.
- Pitched and secured media coverage for Pelicans and Saints initiatives in local, regional and national print, online, radio and TV media.
- Facilitated media availability with athletes, executives and other dignitaries at all events and announcements.
- Experienced in handling crisis communication.
- Built trusted relationships with national and local media members, in addition to business and civic leaders.
- Provided regular message points to prepare executives and athletes with key messaging points prior to interviews.
- Created and edited letters and written forms of communication to the public.
- Assisted with the planning and led public relations execution of Pelicans brand introduction, as well as assisting with announcement of ownership transfer.
- Handle all public relations efforts, as well as appearances and speaking engagements for Mrs. Gayle Benson.
- Manage the Gayle and Tom Benson Charitable Foundation, as well as plan and execute press conferences and announcements.
New Orleans Hornets, New Orleans, La. • Basketball Communications Coordinator • August 2007-December 2011
- Traveled during the regular season and post-season; organizing media availability during shootarounds, pre-game and post-game.
- Served as secondary contact for local, national, visiting and integrated internal media, basketball operations and NBA office.
- Served as secondary liaison between the Hornets business office and basketball operations/players.
- Assisted in hiring, managing and overseeing intern program.
- Responsible for production of external communications vehicles.
- Covered practices, arrange interviews and provide coaching and personnel staff with pertinent information regarding opponents and NBA news.
- Brainstormed, planned and executed basketball communications-related events.
Rutgers Athletic Communications, New Brunswick, N.J. • Assistant • August 2006-July 2007
- Served as the primary contact for women’s soccer, wrestling, soft ball, men’s and women’s tennis and cross country providing all content for ScarletKnights.com for each sport, handling all media efforts.
- Assistant women’s basketball media contact for the 2007 NCAA Finalist and BIG EAST Tournament Championship Scarlet Knights.
- Helped to manage and facilitate over 600 media requests, as well as prepare athletes for interviews, during the Don Imus controversy in 2007.
- Traveled with respective teams to help attending media and administer player/coach interviews.
- Assisted in staffing of all home football, men’s and women’s basketball events, including media days, practices, games and press conferences.
Bloomsburg Sports Information, Bloomsburg, Pa. • Student Assistant/Wrestling Contact • Fall 2003-Spring 2006
- Wrote press releases, event previews and stories, as well as feature stories and producing media guides and preseason materials for all sports.
- Served as a wrestling contact, including traveling with the team, for the 2005-06 season, initiating the production of match notes for all wrestling events, including design and authoring all text.
2006 graduate of Bloomsburg University (Pa.) with a degree in Mass Communications with a focus in Public Relations and a Marketing minor
Outside the classroom Women’s tennis team (4 years), Public Relations Student Society of America (3 years), Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (4 years)
Additional Experience & Community Involvement
What You Give Will Grow I Fall 2012-present I Helped develop branding and execute PR for Saints Pro Bowl Punter Thomas Morstead’s community initiatives; once he started foundation, began serving as the Public Relations Director.
Pancreatic Cancer Action Network-New Orleans I Affiliate Media Representative/Core Leader I January 2011-May 2015; Currently a volunteer
Developed and executed social media plan; Handled PR efforts for local affiliate in cooperation with national office.
2014 NBA All-Star I Host PR Committee I 2013-present
Young Leadership Council I Powerties Committee Member (PR/Job-Site Visits) I 2008-2012
Worked with team to execute Powerties, a career-awareness program for eighth-graders taught by young professionals.
March of Dimes I Media Committee Member I 2011-2012I Worked with local affiliate to promote events, research efforts and human interest stories.
Public Relations Society of America – New Orleans Chapter I Board Member/Awards Co-Chair I 2012-2013
Press Club of New Orleans I Member I 2011-present I Board 2011-13
2013 NCAA Women’s Final Four I Host PR Committee I 2012-2013
Heath Evans Foundation I 2010-2012 I Coordinated media and helped prepare Saints players for media availability at events.
Chris Paul Foundation volunteer I 2007-2010
Peja Stojakovic Children’s Foundation volunteer I 2007-2009
Charlotte Bobcats Public Relations Intern I May 2005-August 2005
Additional Volunteer Roles: Participated in Miracle League as a baseball buddy • Volunteered at Animal Rescue New Orleans (ARNO), a no-kill animal shelter in New Orleans • Assisted with clean-up efforts in Braithwaite, La. following Hurricane Isaac • Packed non-perishable foods at Second Harvest Food Bank • Planted marsh grass at Bayou Savage • Helped host annual Christmas party at a shelter for mothers and children who were victims of domestic violence.