Today I’m excited to share one of my most favorite recipes and one that is definitely a crowd pleaser. I have tried so many chocolate cupcake recipes, but this one was the winner after many of tries – it’s husband approved!
Last weekend when I baked, I made about seven dozen chocolate cupcakes and it really didn’t take that long — it’s SUCH an easy recipe!
Below is a photo of the cupcakes I made for Monday; I made bobblehead cupcake toppers. It was one of those ideas that I thought might be a total #FAIL, but it worked out pretty well. It took a bit of cutting since I had to cut out the bodies and heads separately, but it was fun!
To make the bobbleheads, I bought some Dollar Tree pens, took out the springs and cut them in thirds. Then, I took the spring and hot glued it to the body (I had to leave the head on the body to have something to glue the supersized head to). I’d hold it for about a minute and let the glue dry and then positioned the spring on the back of the supersized head and followed the same process to let the glue dry to the back. I added a couple of lollipop sticks behind the legs for support and that’s it! SUPER easy!
Hershey’s “Perfectly Chocolate” Chocolate Cake
2 cups sugar
1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
¾ cup Hershey’s cocoa
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
½ cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water
- Heat oven to 350 degrees and begin to heat water on stovetop.
- Stir together sugar, flour cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl (I always use my KitchenAid mixer).
- Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla and beat on medium speed of mixer for two minutes. **I always use a little extra oil for moisture; with this recipe, I fill the measuring cup about ¼ of an inch above the ½ cup line.**
- Stir in boiling water (Be careful; splashing will occur! Batter will be very thin).
- Pour batter into pan(s).
- Bake for 35-40 minutes for one-pan cake; bake 30-35 minutes for three 8-inch pans; bake 50-55 minutes for Bundt cake; bake 22-25 minutes for cupcakes (fill cups 2/3 full with batter; makes about 30 cupcakes).
“Perfectly Chocolate” Chocolate Frosting
½ cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
2/3 cup Hershey’s cocoa
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Melt butter and combine with cocoa and vanilla.
- Alternate adding powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency.
- Add extra milk, if needed (VERY small amounts at a time!).
If you’re intimidated by baking, this recipe is for you – it’s so easy, I promise!
Hope you enjoyed the recipe – have a great day!